Knowledge mobilizers aim to deliver the right message to the right people at the right time. How do we know how to do this? We measure every action. The magic of digital communications is that every single action is measurable. We know who clicks on a link, how long they spend on a web page, whether an email is opened or not, and if our content is shared. We know how people arrived at a website and if they watched a video or downloaded a report. Social actions, like a retweet on Twitter or a share on Facebook, are trackable. The digital age provides us with lots of data that helps us understand whether our promotions are working or not and how to be more effective at getting our message heard in an increasingly noisy digital world. Google Analytics is the tool that helps us figure all of this out.
What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that uses data to deliver useable reports about what we do online, how we do it, and when. It collects the data and uses it to provide easily understood reports that tell us how to grow our networks or improve a mobile app. It provides the answers and insights we need to improve our digital presence.
Why Learn about Google Analytics?
People do a lot on the internet. They watch videos, read web pages, download files, and a host of other activities. Knowing how they find content and what they are looking for makes it easier for us to deliver the right content at the right time. Google Analytics helps us collect the data that tells us about these activities.
- Who our audience is: Analyze visitor traffic and figure who interacts with what content.
- What our audience wants: Figure out what they’re looking for and what they like.
- Where our audience is: Knowing where our audience is and where they come from can be just as valuable as knowing who they are.
- When our audience is online: Knowing when to deliver content is important and helps us deliver the content that our audience wants and when they want it.
- Why our audience is interested in our content: Knowing why our audience engages with our content helps us to continue to deliver the content that appeals to them.
- How our audience consumes content: Knowing how our audience prefers to consume content helps us create the content that matters to them, whether it is reading research reports, downloading plain language fact sheets, listening to a podcast, or watching videos.
Learning how to put the power of Google Analytics to work.
Keeping up-to-date with the latest trends in capturing and manipulating data is nearly a full-time pursuit. Wading through the overwhelming amount of content online is daunting and next to impossible. Let’s make it easy.
Mike Klein, owner of Meshy Communications Inc. in Saskatoon, SK, specializes in delivering quality learning opportunities. His latest workshop, Digital Analytics for Marketers, helped participants understand the importance of capturing data and how to transform that data into valuable reports that are easily understood by their teams and superiors.
This three-hour, hands-on, interactive workshop helped us understand:
- the core principals of digital analytics
- the importance of developing the right metrics and how to use the data to tell a story
- how to build an effective measurement plan
- how to set up a Google Analytics and the marketing dashboard
- A/B testing and optimization
- best practices for collecting data, including URL tagging and using events
- the marketing funnel and how users move through it
Would I do it again?
Who can resist an invitation like this?
”Put on your propeller hats and grab your pocket protectors. It’s time for a half day of data fun and marketing goodness.” (Mike Klein, Meshy Communications Inc.)
With tablet in hand, smart phone and laptop in tow, I eagerly joined marketers, communicators, and knowledge mobilization professionals from Saskatoon to learn from an expert. Mike lived up to his reputation and our expectations and delivered the knowledge we needed to know.
Mike brought his expertise, enthusiasm, and unique vision to the room and taught us everything we needed to know about using Google Analytics and putting to work for us. It is not just about measuring the numbers, but about how we use what the data is telling us to improve our digital presence. Whether we are selling a product or promoting an idea, Google Analytics has the power to help us reach our goals.
Yes! I would definitely participate in another one of Mike Klein’s workshops and I highly recommend them to you. His passion compliments his expertise and makes learning fun and easy. His hands-on style helped me create a Google Analytics dash board that delivers exactly what I need to help you understand the power of the digital age.